This Easy and delicious Autumn Sauce for pumpkin raviolis is a vegetarian recipe everyone will enjoy for the Fall Season.
First, I must ‘fess up – I did NOT make the pumpkin ravioli from scratch. I did try to make them last season but I was unable to get the right consistency.
Earlier this week I came across fresh pumpkin ravioli in our specialty market and I couldn’t resist.
To my surprise the sauce was just a combination of fall spices with added sweetness from brown sugar and maple syrup in a creamy sauce that was easy to replicate.
It really is a matter of personal preferences on how much spice is added to the autumn sauce. The cream can be substituted with a roux style sauce using vegetable broth if you prefer a dairy free sauce.
I prefer dairy free sauces so I always try to find an alternative to the cream sauce version. I think my dairy free autumn sauce tops pumpkin raviolis recipe really worked – though I’m sure it’s all relative. Our palates are definitely different so these recipes can be adjusted to your preference.
Easy Autumn Sauce Tops Pumpkin Raviolis
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2-1 Tbls. flour
To Make Roux in Place of Cream Sauce
- 2 tbls. Butter
- 2 tbls. Flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
1. Add the cream and broth to a saucepan and heat on medium until it starts to simmer.
2. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, syrup and continue to cook at a simmer just until the flavors blend - approximately 3-5 minutes.
3. Taste for sweetness and desired autumn spice flavors to your taste. Add more of whichever spice you prefer as well as additional sweetness.
4. Stir in salt and pepper.
5. If the sauce is not thick enough you can make a slurrie with a little flour and some of the hot cream. Stir it into the cream to thicken the sauce a bit.
6. Cook the ravioli. Pour the sauce over the cooked ravioli and top with toasted pumpkin seeds.
TO MAKE ROUX In Place of Cream Sauce
1. Add butter and flour to a saucepan on low/medium heat and stir until well blended.
2. Slowly stir in the vegetable broth and continue stirring until blended. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until thickened. If too thick add additional water, or broth.
Serve over the cooked pumpkin ravioli.
I made both the cream sauce one day and the simple creamy “roux” sauce another day. This easy autumn sauce tops pumpkin raviolis with lots of delicious fall spices. Both versions were equally delicious. You can decide which you prefer. I just love recipes that are flexible.
This easy Autumn Sauce tops pumpkin ravioli is finished off with a sprinkle of pepitas or pumpkin seeds for crunch.