Homemade Baked Chocolate Pumpkin Doughnut Holes is a quick and easy recipe you can make anytime. Decorate the doughnut holes based on the season. We made this recipe for Halloween. This recipe takes less than 40 minutes to prepare and bake. Decorating can be done with the kids on another day.
1. In a large bowl whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips and set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk the egg, milk and vinegar – you may notice the milk will curdle but that’s o.k.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and add the melted butter and pumpkin and stir with wooden spoon until blended.
4. Using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop fill the doughnut pan on the bottom side. Place the top side – it has a small hole in the center of each slot – over the bottom and seal.
5. Bake in 350 degree oven 8 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Remove the pan and using oven mitts remove the top of the pan and invert the bottom of the pan to release the doughnuts on to a wire rack to cool.
7. Repeat with the remaining batter.
1. To decorate the doughnut holes melt 3-6 tablespoons of butter in a small dish.
2. Pour the sprinkles into another small dish. First roll the doughnuts in the butter then dip into sprinkles (using a toothpick to dip into the sprinkles is helpful).
** Because the doughnuts were slightly frozen I used a toothpick to help with the dipping – this was helpful and less messy. Place them on a wire rack with wax paper under it to catch the drippings.
I adapted this recipe from King Arthur’s Flour Chocolate Cake Doughnut Holes recipe. In keeping with my family’s dietary restrictions I changed the sugar, flour and then added the pumpkin puree for a healthy bonus.
Keywords: Pumpkin Doughnuts, Mini doughnut holes, halloween donuts, fall recipe, halloween party recipe