Easy Homemade German Spaetzle
Easy Homemade German Spaetzle are sometimes called German dumplings or noodles which are served with butter as a side dish. A delicious and easy side dish to make anytime or in the fall season with your Oktoberfest celebrations.
- Prep Time: 6-8 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20-25 min.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American/German
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 1 pinch white pepper (use black pepper if you don’t have white)
- 1/2 tsp.ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp.butter
- 2 TBLS.chopped fresh parsley
- 4 quarts hot water
- Add the water to a 5 quart pot and heat to a simmer.
- Mix together the flour, salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Beat the eggs in a small dish and alternate adding the egg and milk to the flour mixture.
- Mix dough until smooth. Press a small portion of the dough through a metal cheese grater or colander and drop into the simmering water. Add only a portion of the batter and cook approx. 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain well. Continue this process until you have used all the batter.
- Heat a medium sauce pan to medium heat and add the butter and cooked spaetzle and saute 2 or 3 minutes just to coat the spaetzle with the butter. Add the chopped parsley and serve.
This easy homemade German Spaetzle recipe can be many anytime of year. It’s easy to make and it’s also great to add to your homemade soups as well. Feel free to add in additional vegetables, I like to add in fresh spinach which I often have in the fridge. Veggies add another layer of ‘healthy’!
Keywords: Homemade, German Noodles, Spaetzle, Oktoberfest, fall recipe