A quick and easy side dish you can prepare in 10 minutes and cook a day in advance. This easy sweet and sour braised red cabbage with apples recipe is a delicious addition to your menu.
Sweet and sour braised red cabbage with apples in the fall was one of my favorite side dishes my mom always made. Everyone enjoyed it and since it was so easy to prepare mom would make it as a side dish quite often.
When a recipe can made a day in advance it’s a keeper. Since this was always a favorite dish I’ve continued to make it whenever I’m lost for a side dish. This red cabbage recipe is so easy and my family enjoys it with burgers and as a side with chicken. The sweet and sour flavors blend well with almost everything and it’s a recipe I like to say has a “pinch” of healthy.
Basic ingredients you might already have in your pantry, a large head of cabbage, cider vinegar and warm fall spices are all you need. Ten minutes of prep time and a side dish will be ready when you are.
Here’s a quick TIP, most markets now prepare sliced/shredded cabbage you can buy. This can be a BIG time saver on those hectic days. If this recipe can be made easier this would be it, buy the cabbage already shredded.
If you buy a whole head of cabbage, the prep is still quite easy. Just cut the cabbage using a knife or a small hand slicer (a mandolin of sorts but less expensive). Rinse in cold water and drain, set aside.
Cabbage Apple Slaw
In a 5 quart sauce pan heat the butter on medium heat and add the butter and sugar. Add the cabbage, stir then add a cover and cook until the cabbage is tender. Cooking time will depend on how thick the cabbage is sliced and the size of the pot. A little bit larger pot will allow more room for the cabbage to cook faster and evenly.
The process is so easy and the results are delicious. You might also enjoy this easy to make Cabbage Apple Slaw. It’s a versatile side dish and great to add to party buffets as well.Print
Sweet and Sour Braised Cabbage With Apples
An Easy Recipe to prepare in advance Sweet and Sour Braised Cabbage is a delicious side dish anytime. Great with burgers, pork, turkey or chicken. It’s also refined sugar free and gluten free.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: Approx. 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hrs.
- Total Time: 1 hr. 30 min.
- Yield: 3-5 servings
- Cuisine: Side Dish
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1 large head of red cabbage (you can also use pre-shredded red cabbage)
- 1 cup sliced apples
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbls. water (or use juice from 1 orange)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cloves (optional)
- zest from 1/2 orange
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a 5 quart pot add the butter, apples, and sugar and give a quick stir. Then add in the vinegar and water (or orange juice) and cloves.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and simmer cooking until the cabbage is tender. This will take approximately 45 minutes up to 1 1/2 hours – depending on how thick the cabbage is sliced. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, add the orange zest on top and serve either hot, room temperature or chilled.
This is the recipe I’ve made for many years. It’s very flexible, you can add more spices if you choose and you can also add onion. Make it your own.
Keywords: red cabbage, sweet and sour cabbage, gluten free, no refined sugar
This is a great recipe to make a day or two in advance. The flavors have a chance to develop and it’s a time saver.