Sweet and Sour Braised Cabbage With Apples
Sweet and Sour Braised Cabbage is a very easy recipeto prepare in advance. It’s a delicious side dish to make any time. It’s Great with burgers, pork, turkey or chicken. This recipe is refined sugar free and gluten free.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: Approx. 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hrs.
- Total Time: 1 hr. 30 min.
- Yield: 3-5 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1 large head of red cabbage (you can also use pre-shredded red cabbage)
- 1 cup sliced apples
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbls. water (or use juice from 1 orange)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cloves (optional)
- zest from 1/2 orange
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a 5 quart pot add the butter, apples, and sugar and give a quick stir. Then add in the vinegar and water (or orange juice) and cloves.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and simmer cooking until the cabbage is tender. This will take approximately 45 minutes up to 1 1/2 hours – depending on how thick the cabbage is sliced. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, add the orange zest on top and serve either hot, room temperature or chilled.
I’ve made this recipe for many years. It’s very flexible, you can add more spices if you choose and you can also add onion. Make it your own.
Keywords: red cabbage, sweet and sour cabbage, gluten free, no refined sugar, side dish, vegetarian recipe