Easy to make Boneless Chicken Cacciatore Skillet Recipe is a one dish meal that will yield leftovers for busy days ahead.
Boneless Chicken Cacciatore Skillet Recipe
Chicken Cacciatore is a traditional meal made with braised chicken or rabbit. Cacciatore in Italian translates to ‘hunter’. This hearty dish was a ‘hunter’s meal’ prepared with onions, peppers, herbs, tomatoes and sometimes wine or red vinegar was also added.
Both my mother and mother-in-law made chicken cacciatore for many of our family meals. Our Italian ancestors came from different regions, mine came from the South of Italy and grampy’s came from the North. Cooking throughout the various regions in Italy is different. Though both our moms’ cacciatore recipes were made almost the same.
I’ve updated this boneless chicken cacciatore skillet recipe and made it to fit my family preferences. This does not take away the integrity of the recipe. You can make this easy chicken cacciatore recipe using the parts of the chicken you choose, either boned, skinless, or boneless.
My family only likes boneless chicken breast, so that’s what I used. If you prefer a whole cut up chicken the steps for this recipe will be exactly the same. Cooking time may take a few minutes longer – That’s It!
Mise en place is so very helpful for this recipe. Cutting up the peppers, onions, garlic, and then prepare the chicken by giving it a coating of flour in advance will make this recipe quick and easy. You can also make roasted garlic in advance and use it in other recipes as well.
Today I made this boneless chicken cacciatore skillet recipe just before lunch. I let it cook for 30 minutes, then turned the gas off and I set it aside covered. I would put this in the refrigerator for the afternoon. Take it out when you are ready to get dinner on the table. It only takes 15-20 minutes to heat up. Serve with a side salad and crusty bread for dunking.
Chicken Cacciatore is a one dish meal that will yield leftovers. I always add extra chicken and veggies. Then I freeze the leftovers for another week, and save a dish for another hectic day. Make hero sandwiches with the leftover chicken and peppers on another busy day. It’s delicious!Print
Boneless Chicken Cacciatore Skillet Recipe
Boneless Chicken Cacciatore Skillet Recipe a quick and easy weeknight meal you can make in advance. Heat up when ready for dinner. Make extra and freeze.
- Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-45 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 3-5 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American/Italian
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- Olive oil or avocado oil to cover the bottom of pan (approx. 1-2 tbls.)
- 3 lbs. whole chicken cut in eighths (or use the chicken parts your family likes)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 bell peppers (yellow, red or green)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth OR (optional) dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbls. fresh chopped basil and parsley
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup each pitted green olives and black olives (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- To roast garlic, place the cloves on aluminum foil, drizzle olive oil over them, sprinkle with salt and then close up the foil very tight so the oil will not leak out. Roast on 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. The garlic cloves will be soft and sweet. Remove the skins and add to the pan with the sauted onions and peppers.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven and saute the chicken pieces, browning on all sides. Set aside the chicken on paper towels.
- In the same pan saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms just until tender about 5-7 minutes. Don’t over cook as they will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaves to the onions and peppers and stir gently and then add the wine and vinegar. Cook for about 10 minutes and then add the chicken pieces to the pan and the olives if using.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 40-50 minutes until the chicken has cooked through. Add the basil and parsley and stir until combined with the sauce. Taste the sauce for seasonings and if the sauce is too thick you can add a splash more of vinegar, wine and/or water to taste. Stir and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rice or noodles and don’t forget a side of garlic bread.
This is a very flexible recipe. Add more or less peppers, mushrooms, onions and/or olives. You can also use chicken thighs, or chicken breasts if you do not want to cook a whole chicken.
This is really a very easy dish to make. It’s economical if you use a whole chicken cut in eighths. Since my picky eaters only like white meat that’s what I use. Flexibility in a recipe is important and chicken cacciatore for today’s cook with a finicky family is perfect.
Boneless Chicken Cacciatore skillet recipe is a perfect meal yielding plenty of leftovers. The picky eaters gave it a thumbs up.
This is also a great meal to prepare on rainy summer days when BBQ is rained out. It never hurts to plan ahead.