A very special and EASY Chocolate Ravioli Pillows Dessert Recipe for any day and any occasion!
Chocolate Ravioli Pillows Dessert Recipe
Chocolate desserts are my favorite. Make it easy to prepare and you’ll find me in the kitchen ready for melting and baking.
I made this chocolate ravioli pillows dessert as a test. I was so excited because it turned out to be easier to make than I ever expected. Don’t you love when a recipe comes together without stress?
We needed a new dessert for our spring family gatherings. This test recipe came out so good it was a keeper. You can easily make this dessert any time, any day or for any special occasion. It’s that easy.
For our spring desserts my mother always made this old fashioned Strawberry Shortcake. It’s a great pairing to go with the chocolate ravioli pillows. This was one of our favorite dessert spreads in a long time.
I call this delicious dessert chocolate ravioli pillows because I used a ravioli mold and when baked they puffed up like pillows. They turned out so great that I made two batches – one would never have been enough – you know ‘you can’t eat just one!‘
To make things easy I used Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets and then made a quick chocolate ganache. A chocolate ganache recipe is so very quick and easy to make especially for this chocolate ravioli pillow recipe.
Using my trusty ravioli mold I was able to make these delicious chocolate ravioli in no time at all. Don’t worry though, you don’t need a ravioli mold to make these.
I defrosted the puff pastry according to the package directions. While waiting for the pastry to defrost I made a ganache which is simply heating up milk or cream and stirring chocolate chips in the heated milk/cream until they melt.
Once the chocolate chips are melted set the ganache aside to chill. You can refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes which will make the chocolate solidify just enough to scoop up and place in the pastry dough.
I adapted this recipe from Pepperidge Farms. I made a few minor changes — I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips and light cream in place of the heavy cream. The recipe below gives instructions to make the ravioli without using the mold. It’s very easy.
Chocolate Ravioli Pillows Dessert Recipe
An easy recipe for any occasion Chocolate Ravioli Pillows Dessert recipe is a delicious addition to any dessert buffet. Or make this just because for your favorite chocolate lover.
- 1 pkg. ( 17.3 ounces) Puff Pastry Sheets & thaw according to package directions
- 1 pkg. ( 8 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (you can use chocolate chips for easier prep)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. water
- All-purpose flour for dusting/rolling the pastry sheets
- Confectioners' sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- While waiting for the pastry to thaw, place the chocolate into a medium bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat to a boil. Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate in the bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Using a whisk, stir until the mixture is smooth. Freeze for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and stir the chocolate mixture. Let mixture cool and put in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk and water in a small bowl with a fork and set aside.
- Sprinkle the flour on the work surface. Unfold 1 pastry sheet on the work surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 16-inch square. Brush the pastry with the egg mixture to within ½ inch of the edge.
- If not using a ravioli mold drop the chocolate mixture by 24 teaspoonfuls onto the pastry sheet, making 4 rows, with 6 evenly-spaced spoonfuls in each row.
- Unfold the remaining pastry sheet on the work surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 16-inch square.
- Place the pastry sheet over the filling, pressing firmly between the rows and around the edges to seal.
- Brush the pastry with the egg mixture. Using a pastry wheel or a sharp knife, cut between the 4 rows to make 4 strips. Cut each strip into 6 rectangles.
- Place the pastries onto 2 baking sheets. Freeze for 15 minutes or until the pastries are firm.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown.
- Sprinkle with the confectioners’ sugar.
- In a small bowl heat 1 Tbls. milk and add ½ cup chocolate chips, stirring the chips until melted. Use as a dipping sauce and/or drizzle over the top of the chocolate pillows.
This recipe was adapted from Pepperidge Farms.
When I was ready to serve the chocolate raviolis I made a little extra ganache which I drizzled over each chocolaate ravioli pillow and then used it as a dipping sauce.
With all this chocolate why not make Cafe Mocha, yes? It was simple — add a spoonful of the chocolate ganache to the coffee cup, pour in the hot coffee, stir well, add cream and then a dollop of whipped cream on top with another drizzle of chocolate.
How delicious and special this chocolate ravioli pillows dessert recipe will be to serve to your favorite chocolate lovers on Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day.
This recipe is also a great dessert to make in advance for bridal or baby showers or for a special family gathering. They are bound to be a hit with any crowd.
TIP: If the weather is warm and temperatures climb up over 70 degrees I would suggest to serve this in an air conditioned room.