Easy to make spinach and cheese roll up appetizers can be made for any game day snack, party appetizer or a side dish for weeknight meals.
Air Fryer Spinach Cheese Roll Up Appetizer Recipe
Making this recipe started with a very rainy two days that left me housebound. Unable to get to the supermarket I was looking to make a side dish tonight. I checked the fridge.
I usually make dinner that will be enough for leftovers – though it depends on how popular dinner is on that day. Today there was leftover ricotta and fresh spinach in the fridge. They are always a good match.
I also had one sheet of puff pastry left. I used a sheet last week for apple hand pies. Oooooh, they were so good. I’ll share the recipe soon.
If you are new here, you just might notice that I make more side dishes and desserts. My family eats the same ol’ same ol’ every day, every week, all year, winter, and summer.
So to get through the boring meals I often try to make something different as a side dish.
Most often everyone enjoys the side dishes. I try to make a new type recipe ‘family friendly’ so they at least will give it a try. This air fryer spinach cheese roll up appetizer recipe was definitely a hit.
Along with my leftover ricotta and fresh spinach I had homemade marinara sauce leftover as well. It turned out to be a good dipping sauce. These delicious roll up appetizers do not really need a dipping sauce, but feel free to make a dipping sauce your family will enjoy.Print
Air Fryer Spinach and Cheese Roll Up Appetizer Recipe
This air fryer spinach and cheese roll up appetizer recipe is a quick and easy recipe. These easy appetizers can also be a delicious side dish with dinner, or a game day snack.
- Prep Time: 15 min.
- Cook Time: 8-12 min.
- Total Time: 15-20 min.
- Yield: approx. 2 dz.
- Category: Appetizer/Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic (approx. small clove chopped)
- 2 pkgs. fresh spinach, washed & chopped
- 1-2 cups ricotta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2/3 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbls. sesame seeds
- 1 egg wash
- Take pastry out of freezer.
- Wash and dry the fresh spinach. Roughly chop with sharp knife and add to a large bowl.
- To the bowl add the cheeses, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to blend well and set aside.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry. Cut into 3 rectangles.
- Spread the filling evenly on the pastry sheets. Spread egg wash on the edges and roll up placing the seam side down on a cutting board.
- If the weather is summery warm, you can refrigerate the polls for 20 minutes.
7. Preheat the air fryer to 330 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on the bottom the fryer basket..
- Remove the pastry rolls from the fridge. Cut rolls into 3 or 4 inch slices. Brush the egg wash over the rolls then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place the rolls into the preheated air fryer baking basket. Bake at 330 degrees for 6 to 10 minutes. After 5 minutes check the rolls to be sure they are browning well, turn over and continue to bake until they are done – approx. 2 to 6 additional minutes.
- Serve immediately. Or you can make them in advance and then re-heat them in the oven for a few minutes just to crisp them up.
The bake time in the air fryer depends on how large the rolls are and your air fryer. This recipe can also be oven baked. Check the pastry package for baking time.
When I’m in the mood to make something different, I check the fridge for inspiration. On a good day I will just ‘whip up’ something that strikes my fancy that day. This is my personal cooking style which I learned from my mom and grandmothers – “waste not, want not” they always said.
This recipe is not rocket science. You can make this air fryer spinach and cheese roll up appetizer recipe using ingredients you already have and are your family’s favorites. Use your favorite veggie and/or your preferred cheese.
You can make it early in the day then heat them when you are ready to serve. A recipe that’s also great to make for family gatherings or parties.