Easy Homemade Apple Sauce Recipe
Easy Homemade Apple Sauce recipe is a delicious DIY recipe to make with the abundance of fall apples. This is a great #cookingwithkids basic recipe. They will enjoy helping and tasting to make this easy recipe.
- Prep Time: 20-30 min.
- Cook Time: 20-30 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 1 qt.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Set aside a large bowl or pot filled with cold water, squeeze juice of a whole lemon and add the lemons to the water):
- 12 – 16 apples, peeled & cubed (use any variety of apples you choose)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (optional)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- coconut sugar (as needed or use your preferred sugar substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Peel and cut the apples into cubes adding them to the lemon water.
- When all the apples are cut drain the water and then add the apples to a sauce pan.
- Cook the apples on medium heat and stir occasionally until they begin to soften.
- Taste the apples for sweetness and add the lemon zest and brown sugar if needed.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until the apples are soft (15-30 minutes depending on how many apples and how small you chopped the apples).
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using a potato masher, or a food mill, mash the apples until desired consistency. We like a chunky apple sauce the potato masher works fine. If you like a smother applesauce then a high speed blender or food processor will be the tool to use – based on texture preference.
- Taste the apple sauce and add spices as desired.
The yield for this recipe will vary based on the number of apples you have.
Keywords: homemade, diy apple sauce recipe, easy recipe, no refined sugar, gluten free recipe