Have you made Air Fryer Homestyle Fried Pickles Recipe? It’s been a while, but I recently made a batch for everyone to snack on during a dreary rain soaked weekend.
Air Fryer Homestyle Fried Pickles Recipe
Well delicious, salty and very snack worthy air fryer homestyle fried pickles recipe were the hit of the afternoon. Even though everyone’s team was not looking good going into the winner’s circle, the air fryer homestyle fried pickles recipe cheered them up.
Before Grampy retired he used to travel for business. One of his business trips landed him for several months in Texas. Since his arrival there he continually talked about how he just can’t stop eating the fried pickles.
I’m not quite sure I understand the fascination and enjoyment of fried pickles. I know they are a snack food commonly served in the Southern part of the states. These days fried pickles are often served in many family style chain restaurants as an appetizer. They are made by deep-frying sliced, battered or bread crumb covered dill pickles that have a bit of a ‘kick’. It seems this delicious appetizer or snack has been around since the ’60s, who knew!
Grampy keeps saying how outrageous they are but I don’t know how pickles can fall into an outrageous food category. I decided it was time to find out.
What kind of flavors do the fried pickles have, I asked. Well, of course how silly of me not to know they “taste just like pickles”! Pickles are quite distinct in their flavor profiles of dillness, sourness, or sweetness, that’s it. I was determined to find out what grampy’s fascination was with the fried pickles.
Finally after several years, we happened to chow down at the Texas Roadhouse with the boys. I finally had a chance to taste the fried pickles. Delicious with salty brine flavor that led me to drink my glass of water and 3 glasses of iced tea. The spices in the batter had a punch, but a fan of the salt I’m not.
Anyway, I’ve been outnumbered and everyone has been asking me to make the fried pickles for snacks. So after a couple of tries to make these for game day snacks here is the easy how-to steps to make my version of Air Fryer Homestyle Fried Pickles. OH, and you can save time and calories by “air frying” them. How genius of me!
You can also make this easy Mushroom Bacon Appetizer in the air fryer also for another delicious game day snack/appetizer.Print
Air Fryer Homestyle Fried Pickles Recipe
Air Fryer Homestyle Fried Pickles recipe is very easy to make as a side dish with a casual meal of burgers, sandwiches, dinner or as game day snacks.
- Prep Time: 5-7 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-7 minutes
- Total Time: 15-20 min.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side Dish/Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cups of sliced pickles (rounds or spears), rinse in cold water to remove some of the salt, drain & pat dry with paper towel.
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. pepper (I eliminated the salt but you can add it if you wish)
- a dash of hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Rinse the pickles in cold water, drain on paper towels and pat dry.
- Dip the pickle slices/spears in the buttermilk. Using a fork pick up the pickles and add to the bread crumb mixture, coat all sides of the pickles.
- Spray the prepared pickles with non-stick cooking spray. Then Place the pickles into the pre-heated Air Fryer.
- Cook at 340 degrees for about 5 minutes on each side or until they are browned. Check them at at about 3-4 minutes to be sure they are not burning. Continue to cook until browned.
- Serve with a dipping sauce, ranch is a good choice.
Keywords: air fryer fried pickles, game day snacks, appetizer, party food
You can serve them as a side dish. Add them in sandwiches. Make a dipping sauce as well. If you use bread and butter pickles you can make a mustard dipping sauce with Dijon mustard and honey. Just a thought.
My first attempt at Fried Pickles was successful. It was easy and the entire process does not take more than 30 minutes.
They were quite good but I wouldn’t qualify them as outrageous. However, they are fun to eat and do make a great little appetizer for game day snacks. Be sure you have plenty of cold drinks available.