Maple Glazed Carrots With Almonds and a hint of orange is an easy side dish to serve with any holiday dinner.
I’m always looking for new side dishes. It’s always the same broccoli or spinach . . . just plain. We had it two days ago. O.K. I’ll make it again. Which one? broccoli or spinach!
Vegetables are usually not a family favorite let alone fresh carrots. It’s time for something new and now that everyone is old enough to understand veggies are our friends I’m adding carrots. The maple glazed dressed carrots is a delicious vegetable side dish you can make on any day and any season.
Serving this delicious maple glazed carrots with almonds is a big risk, but I’m going with it anyway. I’m hoping that the sweetness from the juiced orange along with drizzle of pure maple syrup will make it a winner. I think it’s a perfect side dish, anytime of the year. Fall, Spring even in summer, this is an easy recipe to make.
You probably have all the ingredients, carrots, oranges, nuts if you do not have allergies, and pure maple syrup. You can prepare this side dish in less than 35 minutes from beginning to end. The best part is that you can also prepare this recipe advance.
This delicious maple glazed carrots with almonds recipe can be served as hot side dish with any protein. Or you can serve the carrots with almonds at room temperature on the BBQ buffet table especially in the heat of the summer. Yes, this is one of my favorite flexible recipes. It’s also a delicious addition to add to your buffet table is your having a party.
To make this easy recipe for a holiday dinner in advance is one way to make your menu planning easy. As a summer food safety tip place each tray of food over ice. I know it’s a little more work, but it is definitely worth it when the temps are very high.
Maple Glazed Carrots With Almonds
Maple Glazed Carrots with Almonds is a very easy vegetarian side dish to make any time. This recipe can be served hot or room temperature warm. Great to serve on a party buffet or any day of the year. The maple glaze makes me think of fall, though this easy recipe is always a welcome side dish for any Holiday meal.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 4-6 min.
- Total Time: 20 min.
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (approx. 1 large or 2 med/large oranges)
- zest from 1 orange
- 3 tbls. butter
- 1 lb. carrots, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (or walnuts, pecans), toasted (optional)
- 1-2 tsp. pure maple syrup (add more or less based on your preferred sweetness level)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In small dish add 1/2 cup dried cranberries and the orange juice. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the carrots. Add carrots to a large freezer bag with 3 tbls. water and cook in microwave for 2 minutes. OR you could steam the carrots on the stove if you do not use the microwave.
- In medium saucepan melt butter then add the steamed carrots and stir until carrots are coated with butter, approx. 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the orange juice and the maple syrup. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to blend the flavors. Add the nuts if using and stir well, continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
Keywords: Carrots, almonds, maple glazed carrots, sliced carrot side dish, vegetarian, refined sugar free
This easy maple glazed carrots with almonds recipe is very flexible. You can use sliced carrots as I have, or slice the carrots lengthwise. Also change up the ingredients by adding your favorite dried fruits and/or nuts. This is a delicious vegetarian side dish to make any time of year. A quick and easy recipe to make in summer as well as for fall and winter holiday entertaining.
**Recipe and Photos Updated 2018**