Vegetarian Pasta Fagioli Soup
Vegetarian Pasta Fagioli soup is a hearty bean soup to warm up on a cold winter day. On busy days you can make this early in the day and set it aside until you are ready to serve dinner. Serve this with homemade foccacia bread.
- Prep Time: 7-10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-45 min.
- Total Time: 45 min.
- Yield: 2-3 servings
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American/Italian
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 1 large shallot diced
- 1 clove chopped garlic (optional)
- 3 large carrots sliced small
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cans White Beans (preferably Great Northern Beans – they are firmer than cannellini beans)
- 2 cans of vegetable stock
- 1 small can diced tomatoes or 2 chopped fresh tomatoes (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 tsp. dried basil or 1 TBLS. fresh chopped basil (optional)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (optional)
- 1/2 box of whole grain elbow macaroni
- Parmigiano Reggiano to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a 5 quart sauce pot then add the shallot, garlic, carrots and celery. Saute for about 3 minutes and then add the red pepper flakes. Saute until transparent. Try not to let it brown.
- Open the canned beans and just run a little cold water into the can for a few seconds and then drain the liquid. Add the beans to the pot with the stock and add the tomatoes and bay leaf if you desire.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste and the dried oregano (if you desire).
- Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the package, minus a minute or two, so that they are al dente. Drain well when done.
- Add the parsley and/or basil the last 3 minutes before serving.
- You can add the cooked pasta into the pot with the beans, or add 1 cup of pasta to each individual bowl and then ladle the beans to each bowl. It’s a matter of personal preference.
- Add grated cheese if desired.
You can make Vegetarian Pasta Fagioli with red kidney beans, or white beans. Over the years I’ve changed over to great northern white beans which are a bit firmer. Use you preferred beans.
Keywords: bean soup, pasta fagioli, white bean soup, winter recipe, hot soup