Macaroni and Cheese is always a favorite side dish with any meal. It’s also great for lunch when the kids are off from school.
Macaroni and cheese or mac ‘n cheese as it’s called today, is always on someone’s menu. It’s my go-to dish when I can’t think of anything else to make.
I always have cheese in the fridge, it’s one of my staples along with eggs, milk and butter.
Today’s macaroni and cheese with three cheeses is the side dish with our leftover meatloaf. I used three cheeses today – white and yellow cheddar, Gruyère and Parmagiano Reggiano cheese. You can always use your choice of three cheeses. This is an easy recipe that is also very flexible. Use the ingredients you prefer and make it your signature mac ‘n cheese.Print
Macaroni and Cheese with 3 Cheeses Air Fryer Recipe
Baked Macaroni and Cheese with 3 Cheeses is an easy side dish. It’s also a great lunch for the kids when off from school. This is an easy recipe you can pepare in small ramekins for individual servings and bake them in the air fryer.
- Prep Time: 12-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-20 minutes
- Total Time: 10-25 min.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pkgs. elbow macaroni (I use Dreamfields)
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheddar cheese (Cracker Barrel 2% milk Extra Sharp)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese (Cabot 50% fat)
- 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese
- 2 TBLS. Parmagiano Reggiano
- 1 3/4 cups milk (low-fat is o.k.)
- 2 TBLS. butter
- 2 TBLS. flour
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs
- 2 TBLS. chopped parsley
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions but cook it 2 minutes less. It will continue to cook in the oven.
- Shred the cheddar and Gruyere cheeses and set aside.
- Chop the parsley and add it to a small bowl with the bread crumbs and the Parmagiano Reggiano cheese and set aside.
- Drain macaroni put half of the macaroni in a baking dish, set aside the remainder for now.
For the Cheese Sauce
TIP: You can make the cheese sauce in a separate pot while the macaroni is cooking. This will save time. The sauce will be ready when the pasta is cooked and drained.
- In the same pot used for the macaroni, melt the butter and add the flour stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add the milk slowly while stirring constantly and dissolving the lumps. Continue to cook on low to medium heat until the milk thickens,stirring occasionally. This will take about 8-12 minutes.
- When milk begins to bubble, add three quarters of the yellow cheddar and the white cheddar to the milk and stir well until the cheese starts to melt.
- Pour some of the milk mixture over the half macaroni in the baking dish just to cover. Stir the mixture into macaroni and then add the remainder of the yellow cheddar cheese
- Add the remainder of the macaroni to the baking dish and add the rest of the milk mixture to the macaroni. Stir well to combine and add the grated Gruyere cheese to the top, and then sprinkle the panko mixture over the top.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 15-20 minutes or until it starts to bubble around the edges.
- AIR FRYER RECIPE
- Use individual size ramekins and you can place them in the air fryer basket. Bake according to the manufacturers’ directions.
- I baked the macaroni and cheese ramekins at 335 degrees in my air fryer for 10 minutes. Each air fryer is different. Check the directions for your appliance.
Keywords: Baked macaroni and cheese, air fryer baked mac 'n cheese recipe,
Just for a little bit of a healthy spin in this macaroni and cheese I used two lower fat cheeses. One of the best things about a macaroni and cheese recipe is that you can add your favorite cheeses. Either way, mac ‘n cheese is always delicious.